header image
[ # ] Baptists, Facebook, and Vocation
July 24th, 2008 under Baptists, Christianity, ChristianWalk, Walking Like Jesus

preacher.jpgI’ve recently opened a Facebook account. No, not under Howie. It’s pretty cool because I’ve been able to connect with a lot of old friends. One thing I noticed was that a lot of my old Seminary buddies are no longer in ministry.

I’d like to propose a few theories as to why that is so and see what my Baptist buddies think. Here goes…

1. They really weren’t that spiritual to begin with (that’s why they were my buddies).
2. Ministry is terribly difficult and drives out a lot of good folks.
3. The Baptist emphasis on getting “people saved” really doesn’t encourage folks to serve God outside the church. There’s no emphasis on serving God in one’s vocation because committed Christians only do real ministry. It seems that every video they show at my church about folks who got serious about their faith become missionaries.

You might be able to guess my view. What do you think?

Read the Comments

[ # 38274 ] Comment from George [July 25, 2008, 12:21 am]

If your called of God, you don’t quit. God don’t change His mind.

[ # 38275 ] Comment from Ray [July 25, 2008, 2:53 am]

I think all this talk about vocation is just a way that some folks get out of serving Jesus. It’s a liberal way of not telling others who Jesus is. Feeding the hungry isn’t the same as telling them they need Jesus. It’s best to do both, but just feeding people is not helping them.

[ # 38279 ] Comment from David Zachry [July 25, 2008, 8:18 am]

I wonder if it has to do with too many people following a “call” that was not really a call at all. The Bible says that some were given to teach, preach and evangilze. Not all. This is not to say we are all not responsible to be able to give an answer for the hope that is with in us. In some way, aren’t we all full time missionaries or minsters? If not, why not?

I’ve often wondered what did daily life / ministry looked for those in the early church? Especially for the Thessalonians admonished to live a quiet life and work with their hands (1 Thessalonians 4:10-12).

Intersting points raised in this post. Thanks for making me think.

[ # 38283 ] Comment from howie [July 25, 2008, 7:04 pm]

Thanks for the input David!

[ # 38287 ] Comment from Michael Westmoreland-White [July 25, 2008, 9:22 pm]

Baptist congregations fire more preachers than any other denomination. Some go through a pastor a year. You know what they do to theologians in seminaries and colleges.
With that context, it is amazing that any are left “in ministry.”

Many of us become tentmakers like Paul. We work other jobs to support family and try to find creative ways to minister for free or part=time pay. It ain’t perfect, but it is the only way to follow our vocation and still not break faith with our families.

[ # 38288 ] Comment from howie [July 25, 2008, 9:42 pm]

True, but what if we (baptists) were told up front that our tent-making should be a ministry?

What if we were told that by only doing jobs that serve humanity can we be considered followers of Christ?

[ # 38299 ] Comment from David Zachry [July 27, 2008, 8:37 am]

I would have to say those would be dangerous assertions to make, because the Bible clearly teaches differently. Sometimes it seems is as though there is some sort spiritual elitism between those who are in “full-time” ministry and the rest of us.

[ # 38313 ] Comment from Martin [July 28, 2008, 8:22 am]

The first poster shows the misunderstanding of why people resign and quit. People think working at a church is going to be easy and then they find out that the rule is that you will find trouble. And it is also short sighted to assume that a call is only to paid church work, because as mentioned earlier Paul was a tent maker and Jesus was a carpenter.

Church work can cause some serious family stress, so it can be a decision between “working at a church” or doing something that doesn’t cause so much heart ache and headache.

Write a comment

Flickr
www.flickr.com
howieluvzus' photos More of howieluvzus' photos