| [ # ] Hannity, Fox, Violence, and Idiocy |
| July 31st, 2008 under Christian Crap, Christianity, ChristianWalk, FoxNews, Politics, Racism, Rant, Social Issues, violence, Walking Like Jesus|
Steve asked some great questions in his reply to my last post that I want to address.
What is the difference between his â€˜hateâ€™ and yours?
Painting a broad swath of people with a broad brush stroke, based on what news channel they watch, is just as bigoted as anything that news channel may put out.
I could be wrong here, but hereâ€™s my justification.
1. A lot of prophets including Jesus engaged in name-calling, but they restricted it to the hypocrites and folks who were self-righteous. I donâ€™t think Iâ€™m better than anyone and Iâ€™m open to criticism. I have never been described as self-righteous. Those who know me can testify to that. Pointing out errors within the “Christian” community is not hate.
2. Christians who cannot see how offensive and hate-filled the Fox News folks are are idiots. Sorry. Thatâ€™s just how it is. Folks who call themselves Christians and are racists are idiots too since they donâ€™t see how racism is inconsistent with the message of Jesus.
3. Idiots arenâ€™t necessarily bad people. I was raised in a very racist context. When I was a kid, I told jokes about persons from various ethnic backgrounds and didnâ€™t think anything of it. However, as I grew up and became more reflective about the message of Jesus, I realized that what I had done was sinful and I needed to change. I realized that I was a sinner and an idiot.
4. I think Christians who watch Fox News and are not offended by the hatred and bad behavior of the folks on the air are idiots. God still loves them and I do my best to love them too, but theyâ€™re still idiots.
5. When folks on the other stations start telling people to â€œShut up!â€ and cut their microphones off, then Iâ€™ll find them offensive too. Why canâ€™t Christians see this is wrong?
6. When CBS or NBC or any other â€œnewsâ€ station refers to Michelle Obama a â€œbaby momma,â€ Iâ€™ll find that offensive too. Why canâ€™t Christians see this as racist?
7. Would real networks joke about a terrorist fist jab? Is this really Fair and Balanced? If you think it is, then youâ€™re an idiot.
8. I could go on, but these ought to be enough. If itâ€™s not, you might be an idiot too. Iâ€™m not saying that youâ€™re a threat to America that needs to be stopped (But I probably should.) and I would never use violent terms such as â€œwar againstâ€ or other terms that might be used to justify violence against idiots.